Alpine terrain outside of resort boundaries, known as the ‘backcountry’, is wildly beautiful. Yet its untamed nature is highly unpredictable, risky and dangerous.
The program for our powder guiding tours are therefore determined by our qualified Hokkaido Ski Club guides, who will ensure your safety and plan the day ahead for you according to their assessment against the following conditions:
- Weather, snow and avalanche conditions
- Status of the resort lifts and beyond patrolled areas (“Gates”, “out of resort areas”)
- Your skill level
- Your expectations
We ask that you respect the decisions of our guides – your safety is our no. 1 priority.
General Terms and Rules
- We only run full day guiding tours (6 hours) as this gives you more time to spend in the backcountry and have the most fun.
- Opening of the lifts and special powder areas are all subject to weather and snow conditions.
- Our guiding tours will only be rescheduled if all resort lifts are closed.
- Resort lift passes and meals are not provided by Hokkaido Ski Club.
- Our guides take extreme care at all times but they cannot always predict the occurrence of avalanches or safety of the alpine terrain. The backcountry is a non-patrolled area, thus all activities undertaken are done so at one’s risk.
- No liability will be held to Hokkaido Ski Club or its guides in the event of any accident, injury or death.
- In the event of an accident, the client concerned will be responsible for all costs associated with the recovery.
- All participants must have a valid travel or special snowsports insurance policy that covers any accident or injury while skiing or snowboarding in off piste and out of resort areas.
- You must sign the “Activity Waiver” and “Release of Liability” form before participating in any of our powder guiding programs.
- Respect the Alpine Responsibility Code and rules of the resort AT ALL TIMES.